Workshop – Silhouettes
St Andrew’s Church, Glencrutchery Rd
10.00am until 4.00pm
In the late 18th century, it was a popular pastime to create a silhouette image of a person's profile on paper, then embroider a wallpaper background or cameo frame to make a striking portrait.
The same techniques can be used to create pictures using silhouettes of animals, buildings, or natural forms such as trees.
On this workshop you will be shown how to create a silhouette and then stitch a background. It is a chance to experiment and have fun with a different technique.
Need to Bring:
• A profile photo of a family member or an animal (your cat, dog, or other)
• A small piece of plain fabric – calico or coloured
• Embroidery threads
• Sewing kit: scissors, pins, needles, sewing thread
• Pencil and ruler
• Notebook or sketchbook
• Paper scissors
• White crayon or marker pen • Cutting mat
• Craft knife
• Fabric scraps
Optional items to bring:
• Embroidery hoop
• Light box
These will be provided on the day:
• Black card
• Ideas for inspiration and additional materials provided by the tutor
• Ironing board